Monday, November 28, 2011

Holiday Sweet Potatoes

I was asked to bring a sweet potato dish to Thanksgiving at my cousins' this year and I was quite pleased with this one.  I started with an Ellie Krieger recipe for Honey Roasted Sweet Potatoes that I found on-line and changed a few things to make it more holiday-y.

4 pounds peeled sweet potatoes
2 tablespoons clarified butter
2 tablespoons canola oil
2 tablespoons honey
2 tablespoons maple syrup
2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
pinch of ground cloves
pinch of ground nutmeg
pinch of ground allspice
pinch of ground cinnamon



Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.  Grease a couple of large baking dishes.  Slice the potatoes 1/4" thick using the crinkle-cut blade on a mandoline and place in a large mixing bowl.  Try to avoid giving yourself a crinkle-cut shaped wound on your index finger that takes a month to heal, like I did the first time I used my mandoline.  Melt the butter and whisk thoroughly with all the other ingredients.  Slowly drizzle the mixture over the potatoes as you toss by hand, coating thoroughly. Place potato slices on the baking dishes, slightly overlapping one another.  Roast for about 20 minutes and turn, then stir after another 20 minutes. In 20 or so more minutes they should be done.  They are best when slightly crispy with pretty carmelization.




No comments:

Post a Comment