Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Butter-Poached Lobster Salad

We had this at a restaurant in Culver City called Sublime and it was so good I did my best to recreate it.  What I think I changed was browning the poaching butter and putting a shallot in the vinaigrette, but I cannot be sure.  Anyway, here's my version:

The Salad
1 1-1.5 lb. lobster tail
5 oz. package of pre-washed mixed baby lettuce
1 shaved head of fennel
1 cup of grapes

The Vinaigrette
1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
1/3 cup mandarin orange slices
1 small shallot
1 tablespoon chopped lavender petals/leaves

4 tablespoons of butter for poaching

Combine oil, mandarin oranges, minced shallot and lavender in an immersion blender.  Add salt to taste.  Set aside.  (Pretty soon I am going to try making the vinaigrette with lemon juice [or Meyer lemon juice] and tarragon instead of orange juice and lavender -- perhaps a bit cliched, but dayum I think it will taste good.  I might put some lemon zest in the salad, as well.)

Steam the lobster tail for a minute and fifteen seconds per ounce, then put on top of some ice to cool.  Heat the butter in a small saucepan.  Shave then cut the fennel into thin slices.  Cut the grapes in half.  Combine fennel and grapes with the lettuce in a large salad bowl.  Shell and cut the lobster meat into medium-sized chunks.  When the butter is just browning, add the lobster and simmer for a few minutes.  Remove the buttery lobster chunks with a slotted spoon, shake off excess butter (is there even such a thing?  When I made this the lobster seemed to soak up all of the butter!) and put into the salad, then toss with the vinaigrette.


No comments:

Post a Comment